During the Second World War, national rent controls began under the Office of Price Administration-directed offices. In 1947, anticipating the end of national controls, the Connecticut General Assembly enacted a series of standby rent control laws. One of these, Chapter 356 of the 1951 Supplement to the General Statutes, created the Temporary State Housing Rent Commission. Appointed by the Governor, the Commission extended state rent control over the 82 towns not under federal direction. The Commission’s work ended on April 1, 1956. The record group contains correspondence, memoranda, reports, instructions, hand written notes, minutes of meetings and agendas, rent surveys, subject files, rent case docket registers, and statistical analyses and working papers concerning demographics and housing and rental units in Connecticut. It also includes federal manuals, bulletins, circulars, files of the Hartford Area Rent Office (1942-1953), and papers of an attorney who handled questions of compliance with U. S. regulations giving preference in housing to veterans.