Commission on State Government Organization records
Scope and Contents
Includes meeting material such as agenda and reference material, a general file arranged by unit that includes correspondence, working papers, studies and reports, Material on government organization, Staff Director's files, Questionnaires for legislators, press clippings and recordings of radio interviews.
- circa 1940-1950
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The Commission was established under Special Act No. 28, approved March 31, 1949, for the purpose of studying, “all the functions of the state government” in order to prepare findings and recommendations, including proposed legislation, for the General Assembly and the Governor. The five appointed members were led by Carter W. Atkins, Chairman, and Ralph P. Sollott served as Staff Director. A technical staff numbering more than a hundred in all carried on the research and investigatory work for the Commission, which met frequently to discuss preliminary and interim reports and make the necessary policy decisions. Nineteen “survey units” worked on various aspects of the state government and prepared detailed reports and recommendations. After reviewing these, the Commission submitted its own report on February 27, 1950.
13 cubic feet
The Commission used nineteen survey units to study various aspects of state government and make organizational recommendations.
It is not clear how the records were transferred into the Connecticut State Library. The minutes of meetings of the Commission, which appear to have been with the records at some point, have evidently been lost. The final report, The Report, was published in February 1950 and is available in the Library.
These records were formerly RG 044. In 1994, State Archives staff consolidated the collection with other records of similar commissions in a new RG 028.
- Administrative agencies -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Agendas (administrative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut -- Politics and government Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut. Commission on State Government Organization -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Executive departments -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Press releases Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Questionnaires Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State governments -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RG 028:004, Commission on State Government Organization
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository