Town of Southington records
Scope and Content
Series 1. Administrative Records, 1832-1980, contain a variety of material including abatements, agreements an indentures, bonds, selectmen's accounts and correspondence, and financial records. Abatements covering 1732 to1942 list the name and amount of tax abated. By the 1870s the reason for abatement was also listed. Examples include error in original assessment, poverty, removal from town, or the fact that the person was a pensioner or soldier. Town officials were generally bonded and the records contain a number of bonds from 1879 to 1907 mostly for constables, tax collectors, and treasurers. There is also a folder of liquor license applications covering 1917 to 1919. The largest volume of records in series 1 is financial records. These contain various accounts receivable registers, check stubs, journals, ledgers, notes and bills payable, orders, permit registers, receipts and expenditures, and trial balance ledgers. Two volumes of ledgers may be from the municipal store, 1897-1903. These list individuals and items purchased with amounts paid. A group of files labeled "Special Matters" that cover 1951 to 1953 deal with some of the topics found in Series 9, Borough Records for earlier years such as highways, licenses and permits.
The bulk of Series 2. Poor Relief Records, 1909-1922, 1951-1953, is comprised of outside poor ledgers covering 1887 to 1937. Series 3. Land Records, 1877-1959, includes a volume of petitions of foreclosure, 1877-1879, and a survey index listing property owner, date of survey, surveyor, location of property, and map number for surveys performed from 1883 to 1959. Series 4. Court Records, 1858-1961, includes a volume of assignments of wages for 1888 to 1939 and one folder of justice of the peace records, the bulk from 1880 to 1886. Series 5 Military Records, 1869-1940, contain 2 volumes of militia enrollments, 1869-1939 and selective service registration cards and list for 1940. Series 6. School Records, 1846-1944, include school construction records from the early twentieth century and school registers from 1859 to 1882. Each register is for a specific district. Most of the school registers present are for the year 1869-1870 with a few from other years. Series 7. Election records, 1940-1955, consist solely of voting lists. Men and women were listed separately in 1940. From 1946 to 1949 the there were separate lists for District 1 and District 2.
Series 8. Tax Records, 1792, 1899-1989, contains a variety of records including appraisal of personal property, 1948-1953; individual tax lists for years 1899, 1907 and 1956; old age assistance tax, 1936-1946, rate books, 1931-1946; street assessments, 1899; and tax abstracts, 1792, 1917-1989. An single-sheet list for 1792 and another undated list from the same period include separate columns for name, number of polls, and various types of property such as oxen, cows, horses, land divided into several categories, money at interest, and luxury goods such as chaises and watches. The group of abstracts starting with 1917 includes a column for automobile. A separate list was kept for automobiles by 1935.
Series 9. Borough Records, 1890-1970, contain a variety of records that document the urbanization of a town. The Borough of Southington was incorporated in 1889 and consolidated with the town in 1947. Some of the records in this series replicate those in other series that are for the town. Examples are bonds, financial records including journals and ledgers, and tax rate books. A large volume of the records in this series relate to sewer connections and street and sidewalk construction. Records concerning other borough issues are also present including licenses and permits, ordinances, police, street lighting and traffic signals, among other things. A small amount of records dated after the Borough consolidated with the Town was found among the borough records during processing. They remain a part of this series.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The town of Southington was incorporated in October 1779 and was taken from Farmington. The Borough of Southington was incorporated in 1889. The town and borough consolidated in 1947.
150 cubic feet
Administrative, poor relief, land, court, military, school, election, tax, and borough records for the town of Southington.
Two tax abstracts, one dated 1792 and the other undated, were donated to the Connecticut State Library on July 15, 1941 by E.A. Moore of New Britain. These items have been incorporated into the 2007-047 accession. They were previously assigned the temporary accession number of T000971.
- Justices of the peace -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Local taxation -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Property tax -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public welfare -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School construction -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- School enrollment -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Statistics Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sewerage -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Southington (Conn.) -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Streets -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Design and construction Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Tax assessment -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Taxation -- Connecticut -- Southington -- Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Voting registers -- Connecticut -- Southington Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RG 062:131, Town of Southington
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Paul E. Baran.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository