Tyler Kindred of America genealogical records
Scope and Content
Series 1, Genealogies, include in typescript or notebook format the Branford (Conn.) line, Wallingford (Conn.) line, Gloucester (Mass.) line, Boston line, Bowdoinham (Maine) line, Rhode Island line, and Southern lines, all undated. Also included is a printed copy of the Andover line, 1917. Series 2, Family group sheets, circa 1930-1932, consists of forms filled out by Tyler family members and sent to F. Webster Tyler, who was collecting information for an updated genealogy. Series 3, Correspondence, 1892-1947, consists primarily of letters containing genealogical information or replies to reunion invitations. The correspondence of Emma E. Brigham and Rollin U. Tyler include letters relating to the publications of the Tyler Genealogy, Volumes 1 and 2. Series 4, Address lists, 1928-1932, is comprised of lists maintained by F. Webster Tyler. Series 5, Genealogy notes, 1811-1925, include notes sent to F. Webster Tyler by various Tyler family members. Also present are notebooks of Rollin U. Tyler and some papers of Willard I.T. Brigham. Series 6, Reunions, 1929-1933, include programs and correspondence. Series 7, Tyler Family Association, 1896-1928, contains the constitution, membership list, and reunion reports from that predecessor organization. Series 8, Printed material, includes a Tyler photo book, undated. Series 9, Dora B. Leeson diary, 1909-1930, consists of notebook diaries of Leeson, who resided in Ridgefield, Conn.. The connection between Leeson and the Tyler Family is not known.
- Majority of material found within 1892-1947
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The Tyler Family Association formed in 1896, the year it held its first reunion. The family historian, Willard I. T. Brigham of Chicago, began to compile a Tyler genealogy with plans to publish it in three volumes. The manuscript remained incomplete upon his death in 1904. In 1906, Rollin U. Tyler and Mason W. Tyler contracted with the Grafton Press to complete editing and publishing the manuscript. The first two volumes were published in 1912. In 1921 the Tyler Kindred of America held its first reunion. This organization was formed by members of the “Branford line”, or the descendants of one of Roger Tyler, Sr.’s four sons: Roger, Jr., Peter, Francis and George; and the “Wallingford line”, or the descendants of William Tyler, Sr.’s sons William, Jr. and John. Rollin U. Tyler of Tylersviille, Conn. was President and F. (Fay) Webster Tyler of New York State was Secretary and Genealogist. F. Webster Tyler collected genealogical data on the Branford and Wallingford lines with plans to update and publish Brigham’s third volume. That result was finally accomplished in 1976 by Calvin C. Tyler of Grand Rapids, Michigan.
6 cubic feet
The Tyler Kindred of America held its first reunion in 1921. This organization is a successor to the Tyler Family Association and was formed by members of the "Branford line" and the "Wallingford line".
Arranged into nine series as follows: Genealogies, Family group sheets, Correspondence, Address lists, Genealogy notes, Reunions, Tyler Family Association, Printed material, and Dora B. Leeson diary.
- Branford(Conn.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Diaries Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Massachusetts -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership lists Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- News clippings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Programs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wallingford(Conn.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RG 074:006, Tyler Kindred of America Genealogical Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository