George McKenzie Roberts genealogical papers
Scope and Content
These papers contain manuscript drafts of the following genealogies: John Roberts, 1751-1834, of Hartford, Conn. : his family and descendants; Andrew Smith, 1779-1819 of Hartford, Conn. : his family and descendants; Ebenezer Spear, 1762-1826 of Hartford, Conn. : his family and descendants; and Abel, 1789-1875 & Elizabeth (Spear), 1793-1875, Wellington of Bethel, Vermont : their family and descendants. The Roberts and Smith genealogies are accompanied by correspondence and other material accumulated by Roberts while gathering genealogical data. These files are arranged by correspondent. Also present are genealogical records about the Roberts, Smith and Spear Families divided into cemetery, estate, and vital records. These files contain some photocopies of original estate papers, and death and marriage certificates. Finally, there are a few notecards relating to the Denslow genealogy, but there are no other papers related to that project.
- Majority of material found within 1956-1960
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
George McKenzie Roberts was born on December 28, 1886 at Vergennes, Vermont to George Simon and Florence Louise (McKenzie) Roberts. He married twice, to Anne Edith Campbell on October 20, 1909 at New Haven, and to Grace Agnes (Rhodes) Perkins on November 22, 1943 at Reno. It is believed that both marriages ended in divorce. There were no children. Roberts died on April 7, 1980 at San Francisco, California.
Roberts was educated only to the eighth or ninth grade. He began employment with General Electric in 1901. From 1919 to 1953 he worked for the International General Electric Company, Inc. in New York City as Credit Manager, Assistant Treasurer, and Treasurer. He was also Treasurer and a Director of Electrical Export Corporation. He was Chief of the Foreign Trade Branch, U.S. Office of Price Stabilization, Washington, D.C. from 1951 until his retirement in 1953. He was a director of the New York Board of Trade and of other business clubs and associations from 1920 to 1950.
Although Roberts did not publish any books, he published two genealogies that ran serially in the New York Genealogical and Biographical Record: "The Druse Genealogy," in 1938-1939, and "The Denslow Family in America," from 1946-1950 and 1957-1959. He produced a series of vital records, cemetery records, land and tax records, probate records, census enumerations, and Revolutionary soldiers' records, all relating to the town of Enfield, New Hampshire, in the N.Y.G. & B. Record in 1957. He also published and article, "On the Marring of Research Sources," in The American Genealogist in October 1955. He published his Ancestor Table in that same issue.
Roberts was elected a Fellow of The American Society of Genealogists in 1950. He also belonged to the New England Historic Genealogical Society, the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, the S.A. R., for which he served as Treasurer General and Genealogist General, Society of Colonial Wars in the State of New York, New York State Historical Association, Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut Historical Societies, Descendants of the Illegitimate Sons and Daughters of the Kings of Britain, Denslow Family Association, and others.
Source: Newsletter of the American Society of Genealogists 39.1 (January 1981): 3-4.
1.5 cubic feet
George McKenzie Roberts (1886-1980) was elected a Fellow of the American Society of Genealogists in 1950. These papers include manuscript drafts of genealogies of the John Roberts, Andrew Smith, Ebenezer Spear, and Abel and Elizabeth (Spear) Wellington families.
George McKenzie roberts presented these papers to the Connecticut State Library in 1960. The notecards on the Denslow Family were added afterwards.
- Bethel (Vt.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Death certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Estate records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Genealogies Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Hartford (Conn.) -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Marriage certificates Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- New Hampshire -- Genealogy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Roberts, John, 1751-1834 -- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Smith, Andrew, 1779-1819 -- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spear, Ebenezer, 1762-1826 -- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wellington, Abel, 1789-1875 -- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wellington, Elizabeth Spear, 1793-1875 -- Family Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- RG 074:007, George McKenzie Roberts Genealogical Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository