Liquor Control Commission records
Scope and Content
This record group contains working papers of the Commission, including minutes of meetings, copies of previous Connecticut statutes dealing with alcoholic beverages dating back to 1918, and proposals for a statute. Also included are copies of statutes from other states and Canada, some correspondence, articles, and a carbon copy of the bill submitted and kept by the chair, John Buckley.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The Liquor Control Commission was established in 1933 by an act of the Connecticut General Assembly. Under the direction of Governor Wilbur Cross, it consisted of 7 members of varying backgrounds, and its purpose was to study modifications in governmental control of alcoholic beverages. With repeal of the 18th Amendment imminent and the Volstead Act already amended to permit the sale of beverages up to 3.2% alcohol content, Connecticut had to prepare some means of liquor control. The Commission was to recommend regulations and propose drafts of legislation.
In 1979, the Liquor Control Commission becomes the Division of Liquor Control in the new Department of Business Regulation. In 1980, the Department of Business Regulation is abolished and the Division of Liquor Control is moved to the Department of Public Safety and renamed the Department of Liquor Control. In 1995, the Department of Liquor Control merged into the Department of Consumer Protection and was renamed the Liquor Control Commission.
See also the Liquor Control Commission Agency History.
1 cubic foot
The Liquor Control Commission's purpose was to study modifications in governmental control of alcoholic beverages.
- Bills (legislative records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Connecticut. Liquor Control Commission -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Liquor laws -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- RG 037, Liquor Control Commission
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository