Election Laws Commission records
Scope and Content
This record group contains reports, minutes of meetings, correspondence and reference materials, minutes of public hearings, and questionnaires.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be availabler on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
Initially known as the Commission Upon Laws Relating to Elections, the Election Laws Commission was a seven member, bi-partisan group appointed under the provisions of H.B. 74 passed by the 1939 session of the general Assembly. Its purpose was to study the election laws and to recommend changes to correct any inadequacies.
The first meeting was held on February 6, 1939, and the Commission submitted its first report to the governor on April 14, 1939. Further investigations were deemed necessary, however, and the Assembly extended the Commission to May 1, 1941, submitting its second and final report on January 31, 1941.
The Commission met frequently, carrying on its own investigation with subcommittees and a clerk, holding four public hearings, and using questionnaires to obtain information and advice from party officials.
1.75 cubic feet
The Election Laws Commission studied election laws and recommended changes to correct any inadequacies.
The Connecticut State Library received the records on October 6, 1943 from J. Warren Upson, Clerk of the Commission.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Election law--Connecticut--Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elections--Connecticut--Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Questionnaires Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- RG 038, Election Laws Commission
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository