Willis H. Birge financial papers
Scope and Content
Included are various financial papers kept by Willis H. Birge: an account book, 1880-1938; an account book for a sawmill, 1880-1885; two volumes of cash payments, 1880-1902; a volume of cash received, 1879-1902; and various bills and receipts, 1885-1914. There are two additional account books. One belonged to Henry Birge, 1850-1859, 1876. The other, with entries dating 1799-1802, 1843-1847, is unidentified although the later entries were added by Henry. There are also two cabinet card photographs dated 1859. One is of Henry Birge. The other is of his wife Eliza holding the infant Willis H. Birge.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
Willis Henry Birge was born on January 1, 1859 in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, to Henry and Eliza H. (Viets) Birge. Both Willis' father Henry (1814-1899) and his grandfather David Birge (1770-1847) were wagon makers. On February 11, 1880, Birge married Hattie Montgomery Sargent, also of Windsor Locks. Birge made a living as a farmer and tobacco grower. He died in Plainville, Connecticut on April 29, 1957, aged 98 years.
.5 cubic feet
Willis H. Birge was a farmer and a tobacco grower in Windsor Locks, Conn.
This collection was donated to the Connecticut State Library by Annabelle Gerish on January 15, 2008. Gerish's husband, Fred W. Gerish, was the grandson of Willis H. Birge.
- Account books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Cashbooks Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Farmers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Receipts (financial records) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Wheelwrights Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Windsor Locks (Conn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- RG 069:143, Willis H. Birge Financial Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Paul E. Baran.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository