Civil Service Commission records
Scope and Content
Contains minutes, records of expenditure, reports, correspondence, lists of applicants and appointees, sample examinations, and files on hospital attendants and nurses.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The Connecticut Civil Service Commission was created on June 6, 1913 (Connecticut General Assembly Public Acts, 1913, Chapter 232). With its inception, a dual form of state service was developed. Unclassified and classified categories were set up. Unclassified service was not subject to any of the provisions of the act, while applicants for classified service were required to take competitive examinations.
The Commission existed for a short time, as it was disbanded in April of 1921 (Connecticut General Assembly Public Acts, 1921, Chapter 126). It was not until 1937 that the Department of Personnel was created.
18 cubic feet
The Civil Service Commission made rules, created classified job titles and tests, administered the tests and perepared eligibility lists, answered correspondence, and sought information about exempted or unclassified employees in State departments.
April 2010: The papers relating to out-of-state civil service systems, 1914-1916, were taken out of 6 letter boxes and placed in folders. They are now stored in one record center box.
- Card files Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Civil service -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil service -- Examinations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut -- Officials and employees -- Appointment, qualificatons, tenure, etc Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Employees' manuals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Job applications Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Minutes Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- RG 018, Civil Service Commission
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository