Connecticut Forest and Park Association records
Scope and Content
The records are arranged into nineteen series which document the organization and activities of the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The series include: Administrative Files, Minutes, Correspondence, Financial Records, Subject Files, Committee Files, Reports and Studies, Publications, Press Files, Legislative Files, Shaker Pines Corporation Files, Photographs, Slides, Scrapbooks, Maps, Artifacts, Removable Media, Sound Recordings, and Film and Video.
Series 1. Administrative Files, 1920-2010, consists of contacts, staff files and employment information. The series also contains a copy of the constitution and by-laws of the Connecticut Forest and Park Association, as well as additional governance documents.
Series 2. Minutes, 1922-2011, consists of meeting minutes, agendas, and notices from board meetings, the trails committee, and other committees.
Series 3. Correspondence, 1917-2010, contains correspondence of the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The bulk of the material is from the Secretary-Forester, particularly John E. Hibbard and Adam Moore, and the executive committee.
Series 4. Financial Records, 1933-2012, contains audits, treasurer's reports and budgets and miscellaneous financial information.
Series 5. Subject Files, 1895-2017, undated, consists of material on a wide variety of topics with the majority of material relating to a specific town, state park or trail.
Series 6. Committee Files, 1929-2011, consists of records from the Hiking Trails Committee. Most of the material relates to the status of various sections or trails.
Series 7. Reports and Studies, 1910-2010, contains reports done by and for the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The majority of the reports concern forestry and conservation. Annual reports, development reports and various other reports concerning the Connecticut Forest and Park Association are also included.
Series 8. Publications, circa 1883-2019, undated, includes a wide variety of publications, newsletters, and pamphlets relating to conservation and forestry. Of particular note is a complete set of Connecticut Woodlands, 1937-2019, and multiple editions of the Connecticut Walk Book.
Series 9. Press Files, 1898-2016, includes clippings, press bulletins and programs.
Series 10. Legislative Files, 1921-2018, consists of records, such as lobbying agendas, scorecards and correspondence, relating to the legislative efforts of the Connecticut Forest and Park Association.
Series 11. Shaker Pines Corporation Files, 1937-1942, consists of financial records and correspondence from the Shaker Pines Corporation. The bulk of the material relates to the winding down of the corporation.
Series 12. Photographs, 1900-2011, undated, consists of photographs on the following topics: State Parks and Forests; trails; programs; Trails Day; workshops; events; clubs, associations and organizations; buildings; landscapes; exhibits and display materials; publication materials; logos; portraits; and photograph albums on various topics.
Series 13. Slides, 1907-2002, consists of slides on the following topics: State Parks and Forests; trails; programs; workshops; events; buildings; landscapes; exhibit materials; publication materials; collections; and duplicate groups of slides.
Series 14. Scrapbooks, circa 1921-1994, consists of newspaper clippings, correspondence, photographs, pamphlets, booklets, and programs.
Series 15. Maps, 1929-1978, consists of hiking, isolines, and topographic maps.
Series 16. Artifacts, 1996-2018, undated, includes a slide viewer, 35 mm film, badges, silver and blue ribbon, picture and word signs, trail signs, and ballot Question 2 banners.
Series 17. Removable Media, 1994-2011, contains nine floppy disks and 15 compact discs.
Series 18. Sound Recordings, 1966-1993, undated, contains nine sound cassettes and 14 reels.
Series 19. Film and Video, 1990, 1998, undated, contains four videocassettes (VHS), two videocassettes (U-matic), and eight film reels (16 mm).
- Creation: 1850-2019
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
Series 17. Removable Media, 1994-2011, is restricted. Contact State Archives staff for assistance.
Series 18. Sound Recordings, 1966-1993, is restricted. Contact State Archives staff for assistance.
Series 19. Film and Video, 1998, undated, is restricted. Contact State Archives staff for assistance.
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The Connecticut Forestry Association, later named the Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA), was founded by a group of concerned citizens who met at the Weatogue home of Reverend Horace Winslow on December 30, 1895. The association's founding coincided with a growing interest in conservation and forestry, driven in part by early environmentalists such as Theodore Roosevelt and Gifford Pinchot. The formal organization of the association occurred on Arbor Day in 1896 when a constitution and statement of purpose was adopted by the members.
The early history of the association was intertwined with the Yale Forestry School founded in 1900. The association from 1906-1927 had its office in Sage or Marsh halls on the Yale campus. Forestry School professors and graduates such as Henry Graves, President, 1906-1909; Vice President, 1922-1924; and Director 1928-1931; Austin Hawes, Director, 1906-1909 and 1943-1944; and David M. Smith, President, 1975-1981; Director 1963-1974 and 1981-2004; were all active leaders and members in the association's programs.
In 1928, the Connecticut Forestry Association changed its name to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The name change reflected the association's interest in recreation and leisure. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, the CFPA participated in the establishment of the state park system. The CFPA and its early members were crucial in the acquisition of the Peoples State Forest; Mohawk State Forest; Talcott Mountain; Gillette Castle; and state parks such as Hammonasset, Sherwood Island, Rocky Neck, Bluff Point, and Sleeping Giant.
The Blue-Blazed Hiking Trail system, which would become a signature initiative of the CFPA, was established on October 5, 1929. Several years later, in 1937, the first Connecticut Walk Book was published as a guide to the hiking trail system. A key proponent of the Blue-Blazed Hiking Trails was Edgar L. Heermance who is commonly known as the "father of the Blue Blaze Trails". Heermance was Secretary of the CFPA from 1936-1948. He was succeeded by William C. Shepard, 1948-1952, who was in turn succeeded by Archibald W. Hurford, 1952-1963. In 1963, John E. Hibbard was hired as Secretary-Forester. This was the beginning of a fruitful partnership between Hibbard and the association. John Hibbard retired, after a full and successful career, in 2000. His successor Paul Wingle, 2001, served only briefly before resigning. Wingle was succeeded by Adam Moore, 2001-2008. Eric Hammerling, the incumbent Executive Director and Secretary, was appointed in May 2008.
The Connecticut Forest and Park Association has throughout its history established and participated in a variety of outreach activities. These include Connecticut Releaf, Connecticut Trails Day, Project Learning Tree, Walk CT and many more. The CFPA has a long history of lobbying the state government on issues such as the environment, forestry, wildlife, recreation, and trails. Funding and support for the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection has been of particular interest over the years.
The association has maintained multiple headquarters. The original headquarters was located in New Haven from 1906-1956. In 1956 the association moved to Wallingford, then to Hartford from 1964-1968, and then to East Hartford from 1968-1986. In 1986 the CFPA moved to a newly constructed headquarters in Middlefield. The headquarters was named in honor of James L. Goodwin a previous President, 1954-1961, and Director, 1961-1966.
48.75 cubic feet
The Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA) was founded on December 30, 1895, in Weatogue, Connecticut, at the home of Reverend Horace Winslow, as the Connecticut Forestry Association. In 1928, the Connecticut Forestry Association changed its name to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The name change reflected the association’s interest in recreation and leisure. Records include administrative files, minutes, correspondence, financial records, subject files, committee files, reports and studies, publications, press files, legislative files, Shaker Pines Corporation files, photographs, slides, scrapbooks, maps, artifacts, removable media, sound recordings, and film and video.
Series 1. Administrative Files, 1920-2010
Series 2. Minutes, 1922-2011
Series 3. Correspondence, 1917-2010
Series 4. Financial Records, 1933-2012
Series 5. Subject Files, 1895-2017, undated
Series 6. Committee Files, 1929-2011
Series 7. Reports and Studies, 1910-2010
Series 8. Publications, circa 1883-2019, undated
Series 9. Press Files, 1898-2016
Series 10. Legislative Files, 1921-2018
Series 11. Shaker Pines Corporation Files, 1937-1942
Series 12. Photographs, 1850-2011, undated
Series 13. Slides, 1907-2002
Series 14. Scrapbooks, circa 1921-1994
Series 15. Maps, 1929-1978
Series 16. Artifacts, 1996-2018, undated
Series 17. Removable Media, 1994-2011
Series 18. Sound Recordings, 1966-1993, undated
Series 19. Film and Video, 1990, 1998, undated
These records were donated by the Connecticut Forest and Park Association to the Connecticut State Library on December 17, 2012.
Accession 2018-040 was donated by Christine G. Woodside, former editor of Connecticut Woodlands, to the Connecticut State Library on May 18, 2018.
Max Otte processed series 1 to 11 of these records from May-August, 2013. Marcia Furman, a student intern from the graduate program of Library and Information Science at Simmons, processed series 12 of the records from June-July, 2015. Marcia Furman processed series 13, 15-16, and 18-19 of the records from January-July, 2016. Allen Ramsey processed series 14 and 17 from 2013-2016. Sarah Morin processed an accrual from July-September 2017, and an additional accrual in July 2019.
Genre / Form
- Compact discs
- Film reels
- Financial records
- Floppy disks
- Legal documents
- Press releases
- Programs (documents)
- Scripts (documents)
- Signs (declatory or advertising artifacts)
- Slides (photographs)
- Sound recordings
- East Hartford (Conn.)
- Hartford (Conn.)
- Middlefield (Conn.)
- New Haven (Conn.)
- Wallingford (Conn.)
- Weatogue (Conn.)
- Connecticut -- Guidebooks
- Connecticut Forest and Park Association -- Periodicals
- Forests and forestry -- Connecticut
- Forests and forestry -- Connecticut -- Periodicals
- Forests and forestry -- Societies, etc.
- Hiking -- Connecticut
- Hiking -- Connecticut -- Maps
- Land use -- Connecticut
- Outdoor recreation -- Connecticut
- Parks -- Connecticut
- Parks -- Connecticut -- Periodicals
- Trails -- Connecticut
- Trails -- Connecticut -- Maps
- Trees -- Connecticut
- RG 169:007, Connecticut Forest and Park Association
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Max Otte, Marcia Furman, and Allen Ramsey.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository