Department of Housing records
The Department of Housing handled all matters relating to housing and community development, including policy, development, redevelopment, preservation, maintenance and improvement of housing and neighborhoods.
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
The State Housing Authority was established in 1943. On January 3, 1951 its duties and responsibilities transferred to the Department of Public Works, Housing Division. They transferred again in 1967 to the Department of Community Affairs, Bureau of Housing. The Department of Community Affairs was abolished in 1977 and its housing programs were consolidated under the Department of Economic Development. On July 1, 1977 the Department of Housing was established. Responsibilities for operating established state housing programs were transferred from the Department of Economic Development and the Department of Housing became the lead agency for housing matters. On October 1, 1995 the Department of Housing merged into the new Department of Economic and Community Development, becoming the Housing Division.
See also the Department of Housing Agency History.
148.5 cubic feet
Series 1. Commissioner, 1979-1994, 25 cubic feet.
Joseph E. Canale, 1979-1986, Accession: 1989-008, 11 cubic feet
John F. Papandrea, 1986-1990, 6 cubic feet
Accession: 1991-020, 1986-1990, 5 cubic feet
Accession: 1992-011, 1987-1989, 1 cubic foot
Henry S. Scherer, 1990-1994, Accession: 1995-032, 6 cubic feet
Executive Assistant Bob Hardiman: Accession: 1989-008, 2 cubic feet
Series 2. Deputy Commissioner, 1981-1988, 38 cubic feet.
David W. Deakin, 1978-1988, Accession: 1989-008, 21 cubic feet.
Victor Cruse, 1981-1986, 12 cubic feet
Accession: T003128, 11 cubic feet
Accession: 1991-020, 1 cubic foot
Yasha M. Escalera, 1987-1988, Accession: 1991-020, 5 cubic feet
Series 3. Department of Community Affairs, 1943-1980, 32.5 cubic feet.
Block Grants, 1945-1978, 22.5 cubic feet
Accession: 1985-026A, 1950-1966, 11 cubic feet
Accession: 1986-010B, 1945-1975, 4 cubic feet
Accession: 1989-005, 1958-1978, 2.5 cubic feet
Accession: 2004-025, 1959-1977, 5 cubic feet
Pilot Programs, 1968-1972, Accession: 1989-003, 2 cubic feet
Planning Maps, circa 1943-1980, Accession: T003133, 8 cubic feet
Series 4. Office of Legal Assistance and Relocation, 1962-1984, 50 cubic feet.
Appeals Files, 1962-1984, Accession: 1991-006, 50 cubic feet
Series 5. Innovative Housing and Special Initiative Division, 1983-1989, 1 cubic foot.
Director's Subject Files (T. Fusaro), 1983-1989, Accession: 1991-027, 1 cubic foot
Series 6. Policy and Planning Division, 1984, 1 cubic foot.
Correspondence and face sheets, 1984, Accession: 1992-022, 1 cubic foot
Series 7. Management Analysts, undated, 1 cubic foot.
Policy and Procedures Manual, undated, Accession: 1990-006, 1 cubic foot
Other Finding Aid
- Community development -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut Housing Authority -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut. Dept. of Community Affairs -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut. Dept. of Housing -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Connecticut. Public Works Dept -- Records and correspondence Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Contracts Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Employees' manuals Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Housing -- Connecticut Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- RG 071, Department of Housing
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository