Skip to main content

Second Church of Christ, Scientist records

 Collection
Identifier: RG070_081

Scope and Content

Series 1, Governance is comprised mainly of two notebooks. One contains Board standing rules and votes, 1912-1990, and the other contains standing church votes, 1912-1987. Series 2, Membership includes two volumes of church meeting attendance registers, 1921-1938, a monthly envelopes register, 1935-1948, and membership lists for 1996 and 1998. Series 3, Clerk includes the clerk's files. These files contain chiefly correspondence to and from the Board of Directors as well as files for various committees. Series 3 also includes financial records including four ledgers, 1932-1955. Series 4, Committees include minutes and reports of Advertising Information Committee, Circulation Information Committee, House Committee, Literature Distribution Committee, and Sanatorium Information Committee that date primarily from the 1920s to 1960s. There are also single folders for the War Relief Committee, 1941-1945. Of note in Series 5, Sunday School are two volumes of teachers' meeting minutes, 1914-1925.

Dates

  • 1912-2002

Language of Materials

The records are in English.

Restrictions on Access

These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.

See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.

Historical Note

The Second Church of Christ Scientist Hartford, was organized in 1907 by 11 members of The Mother Church. The first service was held on an upper floor at 64 Pearl Street, and as the congregation grew, services were moved twice to other sites. The church building at the corner of Lafayette and Russ Streets held its first service January 4, 1925. A diminished membership prompted the congregation to sell the church building to the State of Connecticut in 2008.

Source: Christian Science in Connecticut, Welcome to Second Church of Christ, Scientist Hartford, Connecticut USA! http://www.christiansciencect.org/hartford2/ (accessed May 23, 2008).

Extent

8 cubic feet

Abstract

The Second Church of Christ Scientist Hartford, was organized in 1907 by 11 members of The Mother Church. The first service was held on an upper floor at 64 Pearl Street, and as the congregation grew, services were moved twice to other sites. The church building at the corner of Lafayette and Russ Streets held its first service January 4, 1925. A diminished membership prompted the congregation to sell the church building to the State of Connecticut in 2008.

Arrangement

Series 1. Governance, 1912-1990

Series 2. Membership, 1921-1999

Series 3. Clerk, 1940-2000

Series 4. Committees, 1923-2002

Series 5. Sunday School, 1914-2001

Series 6. Procedures, 1958-1992

Series 7 Miscellaneous, 1958-2001, undated

Provenance

The State Library acquired these records in 2008 after the congregation sold the church building to the State of Connecticut.

Related Material

None.

Title
RG 070:081 Second Church of Christ, Scientist (Hartford, Conn.)
Subtitle
Inventory of Records
Author
Finding aid prepared by Paul E. Baran.
Date
2008
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository

Contact: