Department of Environmental Protection air waste and water records
Scope and Content
Included here are records from the Deputy Commissioner, 1972-2004; Planning and Standards, 1970-1973; Bureau of Water Management, 1920-1979 that includes records from the Permitting, Enforcement, and Remediation Division; Bureau of Air Management, 1975-2007; and Inland Water Resources, 1939-2013 that includes records from the New England River Basins Commission, 1966-1975, the Connecticut Soil Advisory Committee, 1948-1974, 8 volumes of survey notes of Connecticut waterways, 1939-1941, and 3 dvds of the Municipal Inland Wetland Commissioners Training Program, 2007-2013.
- Creation: 1920-2013
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
With the creation of the Department of Environmental Protection in 1971, the Environmental Quality Division was given the mission of abating the pollution of the water, air and land of the state.1 Now known as the Bureau of Air, Waste and Water, this part of the Dept. of Environmental Protection has always been based on media (transport of pollutants, i.e. water and air) and business (source of pollutants, i.e. waste, pesticides, etc.). The functions of permitting, inspection, enforcement, and monitoring have been subsets of the primary structure.2
See also the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection Agency History.
- 1Press release, November 22, 1971, RG 079:001, Department of Ennvironmental Protection, Commissioner Arthur J. Rocque, Jr., Accession 2005-009, Organizational Evaluation, Box 6, Folder "First DEP Org Dan Lufkin Documents".
- 2Untitled and undated document, RG 079:001, Ennvironmental Protection, Commissioner Arthur J. Rocque, Jr., Accession 2005-009, Organizational Evaluation, Box 6, Folder "Historic Org Charts".
281.5 cubic feet
Air, Waste and Water records include: Deputy Commissioner; Planning and Standards; Bureau of Water Management; Bureau of Air Management; Inland Water Resources.
Series numbers have been assigned within RG 079 in its entirety and therefore the series described here are not numbered consecutively.
Series 5. Deputy Commissioner, 1972-2004, 53 cubic feet
Eckardt C. Beck
Administrative Files, 1972-1985, Accession: 1988-023, 9 cubic feet
Melvin J. Schneidermeyer, 1975-1979
Accession: 1988-021, Subject Files, 1975-1979, 7 cubic feet
Accession: 1988-027 (part), Subject Files, 1975-1979, 2 cubic feet
Accession: 1988-031, Subject Files, 1975-1979, 4 cubic feet
John W. Anderson
Program Files, 1972-1986, Accession: 1989-059, 21 cubic feet
Robert A. Moore, 1988-1995
Accession: 1996-010, Budget and Thomas Commission Recommendation Files, 1990-1995, 2 cubic feet
Accession: 1997-023, Subject Files, 1988-1994, 3 cubic feet
Jane K. Stahl, 1997-2004
Accession: 2005-018, Subject Files, 1997-2004, 5 cubic feet
Series 11. Planning and Standards, 1970-1973, Accession: 1988-027 (part), 19 cubic feet
Series 14. Bureau of Water Management, 1920-1979
Permitting, Enforcement, and Remediation Division, 1928-1979, bulk 1969-1977
Accession: 1997-050, Correspondence Files, 145 cubic feet
Accession: 1997-051, Reports, 35 cubic feet
Ansonia Water Company, 1920, Accession: 1999-016, 0.25 cubic feet
Series 15. Bureau of Air Management, 1975-2007
Accession: 1998-037, Director's Subject Files, 1975-1987, 1 cubic foot
Accession: 1993-145, Hearings, 1988-1992, 23 cubic feet
Accession: 2017-094, Indirect Source Permits, 1980-2007, 3 cubic feet
Series 25. Inland Water Resources, 1939-2013
Accession: 1998-038, Commissions and Committee Records, 1939-1975, 2 cubic feet
Accession: 2014-036, Municipal Inland Wetland Commissioners Training Program, 2007-2013, 0.25 cubic feet
Genre / Form
- Air -- Pollution -- Connecticut
- Air quality management -- Connecticut
- Connecticut. Bureau of Air Management -- Records and correspondence
- Connecticut. Bureau of Water Management -- Records and correspondence
- Connecticut. Dept. of Environmental Protection -- Records and correspondence
- Environmental protection -- Connecticut
- Groundwater -- Pollution -- Connecticut
- Groundwater -- Quality -- Connecticut
- Water resources development -- Connecticut
- RG 079:005, Department of Environmental Protection: Air, Waste and Water
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository