State Highway Department records
Scope and Content
Included here are road improvement registers, 1894-1913; papers from the Supervisor of Repairs, 1921-1929; manuals and organizational studies, 1930-1987; Hartford Bridge Commission, 1939-1951; Groton-New London Bridge Commission, 1939-1943; Old Lyme-Old Saybrook Bridge Commission, 1945-1951; reports and studies, 1939-1992; news clippings and maps, circa 1940-1965; photographs, circa 1930-1958; certificates of finished projects, 1895-1931; report on the Merritt Parkway, 1937; report on the West Rock Tunnel, 1948-1949; George S. Koch papers, 1975; photographs and blueprints of the Merritt Parkway toll plazas, 1939-1988; surveyor field books, 1956-1962; papers of the personnel administrator, 1942-1969; engineers' files including those of Warren M. Creamer, 1933-1984, and Harry Mardoian, 1917-1960; blueprints, 1922-1960; a manual from the Bureau of Fiscal Services, 1968; and Route Change Notices from the Bureau of Planning & Design, 1957-1993.
- Creation: 1894-1993
Language of Materials
The records are in English.
Restrictions on Access
Some of these records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.
See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.
Restrictions on Use
See the Reproduction and Publications of State Library Collections policy.
In 1895, the General Assembly established a three person board known as the State Highway Commission to monitor town expenditures of state funds as well as construction and improvements to public roads. In 1897, the legislature abolished the board and created the State Highway Department headed by the State Highway Commissioner. In October 1969. it merged into the new Department of Transportation.
See also the State Highway Department Agency History.
53 cubic feet
In 1895, the General Assembly established a three person board known as the State Highway Commission to monitor town expenditures of state funds as well as construction and improvements to public roads. In 1897, the legislature abolished the board and created the State Highway Department headed by the State Highway Commissioner. In October 1969, it merged into the new Department of Transportation.
Accession 2013-032 was transferred to the Connecticut State Library on January 30, 2013.
Genre / Form
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Manuals (instructional materials)
- Minute books
- Bridges -- Connecticut -- Groton
- Bridges -- Connecticut -- Hartford
- Bridges -- Connecticut -- New London
- Bridges -- Connecticut -- Old Lyme
- Bridges -- Connecticut -- Old Saybrook
- Charter Oak Bridge (Hartford and East Hartford, Conn.)
- Connecticut Turnpike (Conn.)
- Merritt Parkway (Conn.)
- Raymond E. Baldwin Bridge (Old Lyme and Old Saybrook, Conn.)
- Roads -- Connecticut -- Design and construction
- Roads -- Connecticut -- Maintenance and repair
- Thames River Bridge (Groton, Conn. and New London, Conn.)
- Transportation -- Connecticut
- RG 089:001, State Highway Department
- Inventory of Records
- Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- February 15, 2012: This electronic finding aid was updated by Allen Ramsey. Update included addition of Accession 2013-032.
Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository