Skip to main content

Connecticut Historical Commission records

Identifier: RG024

Scope and Content

The records of the Connecticut Historical Commission are divided into one subgroup and three series. Subgroup one contains correspondence, reports, and other documentation on the restoration of the Henry Whitfield House, a State Historical Museum in Guilford, together with deeds and other papers on Guilford families. The second series relates to the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Connecticut, which lasted from 1974-1978, and documentation includes subject files, clippings, and scrapbooks. The third series contain a small volume of resolutions expressing gratitude, sorrow and respect, or other form of acknowledgement for members and citizens. Finally, there are six boxes of microfiche on the Connecticut Historical Commission’s Statewide Historic Resources Inventory.


  • 1768-1987

Language of Materials

The records are in English.

Restrictions on Access

These records are stored at an off-site facility and therefore may not be available on a same-day basis.

See the Rules and Procedures for Researchers Using Archival Records and Secured Collections policy.

Historical Note

The State Historical Commission was established by statute in 1955 to perform a variety of functions having to do with the preservation of historic sites and structures and other historical resources. It administered several historic properties including the Henry Whitfield House in Guilford. This building is said to be the oldest stone house in Connecticut, built in 1639. From 1900, when it was purchased by the State, it was administered (and known as the "State Historical Museum") by an appointed Board of Trustees. In 1973, the General Assembly acted to place it under the jurisdiction of the Historical Commission. The Commission also served as the American Revolution Bicentennial Commission of Connecticut. The Commission also oversaw the State Historic Resources Inventory which begun in Connecticut in 1974. In 2003, the Historical Commission merged into the new Commission on Arts, Tourism, Culture, History and Film.

See also the Historical Commission Agency History.


13.75 cubic feet


The Connecticut Historical Commission performed a variety of functions having to do with the preservation of historic sites and structures and other historical resources.


Subgroup 1. Henry Whitfield House, 1768-1957, Accession: 1958-002, 2 cubic feet.

Series 2. The Connecticut American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, 1973-1978, 10.5 cubic feet

Accession: T000562, 3 cubic feet

Accession: T000549, 7.5 cubic feet

Series 3. Resolutions, 1982-1986, Accession: T000549, 1 large envelope.

Series 4-9. Not used.

Series 10. Statewide Historic Resource Directory, circa 1974-1987, Accession: T000547, 1.25 cubic feet (6 microfiche clamshell boxes).

Related Material

RG 033, Works Progress Administration for Connecticut, Historic American Buildings Survey.

RG 143, Connecticut Society of the Colonial Dames of America. Old Houses of Connecticut, collected and compiled by the Connecticut Society of Colonial Dames of America.

PG 600, General Poster Collection. Additional Bicentennial posters.

Donohue, Mary M. and David A. Poirier. "The Connecticut Historic Preservation Collection: An Introduction to the State's Archaeological and Architectural Records." Bulletin of the Archaeological Society of Connecticut 48 (1985): 13-30.

Poirier, David A. Historic preservation : A User's Guide to the Connecticut Historic Preservation Collection. Hartford, Conn.: Connecticut Historical Commission, 1991 [CSL call number Conn Doc H65 hpre].

RG 024, Historical Commission
Inventory of Records
Finding aid prepared by Connecticut State Library staff.
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Connecticut State Library Repository