Skip to main content

Maps

 Subject
Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus

Found in 17 Collections and/or Records:

Board of Railroad Commissioners records

 Collection
Identifier: RG041_001
Abstract

The Board of Railroad Commissioners came into existence on July 1, 1853. On September 9, 1911 it was succeeded by the Public Utilities Commission.

Dates: circa 1848-1912, bulk 1854-1911

Boundary Commissions' records

 Collection
Identifier: RG075
Abstract

This record group includes materials deposited at various times by persons who served as Connecticut's agents on the bi-state commissions which established and maintained the boundary lines between Connecticut and her neighbor states.

Dates: 1821-1962

Connecticut Forest and Park Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG169_007
Abstract The Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA) was founded on December 30, 1895, in Weatogue, Connecticut, at the home of Reverend Horace Winslow, as the Connecticut Forestry Association. In 1928, the Connecticut Forestry Association changed its name to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The name change reflected the association’s interest in recreation and leisure. Records include administrative files, minutes, correspondence, financial records, subject files, committee files,...
Dates: 1883-2018

Connecticut River Bridge and Highway District records

 Collection
Identifier: RG046
Abstract

The General Assembly created the Commission in 1895 (Special Act 343) to be responsible for the construction of a new bridge over the Connecticut River to replace the wooden bridge that had burned in that year. The Commission maintained the bridge until the 1930s, when it turned its duties and title to the properties to the State and adjoining localities.

Dates: 1879-1949

Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG183
Abstract The Connecticut River Flood Control Compact was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 6, 1953. The compact created the Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission for the purpose of promoting inter-state comity between and among the signatory states; assuring adequate storage capacity for impounding waters of the Connecticut River and its tributaries for the protection of life and property from floods; and providing a joint or common agency through which the...
Dates: 1927-2011, bulk 1953-2011; 1953-2011

Connecticut School for Boys records

 Collection
Identifier: RG178_001
Abstract The State Reform School opened in 1854 in Meriden Connecticut. The name was changed in 1893 to the Connecticut School for Boys. In January of 1970 the school came under the administrative control of the Department of Children and Youth Services. In 1972 the school merged with Long Lane School, the state reform school for girls, after experiencing internal troubles with staff and student discipline. Economic costs to the state were also an issue. All boys staying at the school were...
Dates: 1855-1995

Connecticut vs. Massachusetts records

 Collection
Identifier: RG009_004
Abstract The records consist of transcripts of testimony with indexes, exhibits, reports, engineering studies, War Department materials, correspondence, subject files, legislative files, press files, printed documents, invoices, and maps. The state of Connecticut on December 22, 1927 requested an injunction fromm the United States Supreme Court to prohibit the diversion of water from the tributaries of the Connecticut River by Massachusetts. The case was heard by a special master appointed by the...
Dates: 1890-1932; Majority of material found within 1928-1932

Department of Housing planning maps

 Collection
Identifier: RG071_003
Abstract

Town planning maps created through HUD's 701 Planning and Management Assistance Program.

Dates: circa 1943-1980

Department of Housing records

 Collection
Identifier: RG071
Abstract

The Department of Housing handled all matters relating to housing and community development, including policy, development, redevelopment, preservation, maintenance and improvement of housing and neighborhoods.

Dates: 1943-1994

Emergency Relief Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG032
Abstract

The General Assembly created the Emergency Relief commission in 1933 as a successor to the Connecticut State Emergency Committee on Employment and the Connecticut Unemployment Commission. It had two functions: approval of local municipal bonds for relief purposes and supervision of emergency unemployment relief projects.

Dates: 1933-1937

Forestry Department records

 Collection
Identifier: RG079_022
Abstract

In 1921 the General Assembly reorganized the state forest administration. The State Park Commission became the State Park and Forest Commission and had authority to appoint the state forester, separating that office from the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station.

Dates: circa 1901-2004

Indian Litigation files

 Collection
Identifier: RG009_007
Abstract The Office of the Attorney General, Special Litigation Department represents the interests of people of Connecticut in matters related to federal tribal recognition and in litigation involving land claims brought by groups claiming Indian ancestry. Indian Litigation files include: Attorney General; Bureau of Indian Affairs; Eastern Pequot; Golden Hill Paugussetts; Mashantucket Pequot; Mohegan; Nipmuc; Schaghticoke; Webster/Dudley Band of Chaubunagungamaug Nipmuck Indians; National Archives...
Dates: 1666-2008; Majority of material found within 1965-2008

Kent T. Healy papers

 Collection
Identifier: RG069_016
Abstract

Includes material pertinent to Healy's service as the chairman of the Connecticut Savings Banks’ Railroad Investment Committee of the Banking Department (1945-1963) and a consultant to the Connecticut Commission on the Reorganization of State Departments (1935-1937).

Dates: 1935-1963

Mathias Spiess papers

 Collection
Identifier: RG069_100
Abstract

The papers consist of material pertaining to Mathias Spiess who was an amateur historian with an interest in Connecticut Indians and the town of Manchester. Spiess in 1936 served as a Republican selectman and in 1937 and 1938 was a police commissioner for the town of Manchester. Included in the papers are correspondence, subject files, writings, and maps.

Dates: 1892-1944

Owens Machine Gun Veterans Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG122
Abstract

The association was organized in 1919 composed of men who had served in the Machine gun Company of the First Connecticut Infantry, the first American machine gun company. It operated under various names until 1926 when it was named in honor of Michael and John Owens, both members of the company. The association decorated the graves of deceased members on Memorial Day and held annual meetings until it disbanded in 1970.

Dates: 1916-1970

Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford records

 Collection
Identifier: RG116
Abstract The preamble to the Constitution of the Society of Descendants of the Founders of Hartford gives the following description of the objectives of the organization: “We, descendants of the Founders of Hartford, do hereby constitute ourselves the Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford, in order to further the worthy celebration of the three hundredth anniversary of the founding of the city. . . that original documents and historical works of merit relating to the founders and the...
Dates: 1832, 1900, 1924-1936; Majority of material found within 1924-1936

State boundary line perambulations

 Collection
Identifier: RG089_010
Abstract

The Department of Transportation is responsible for the perambulation, examination, restoration or repair of the state line boundary monuments between Connecticut and its neighbor states of New York, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island.

Dates: 1965-1997