Found in 10 Collections and/or Records:
The club was formed on November 27, 1879, composed of any soldier or sailor honorably discharged and sponsored by a member, and seems to have limited itself to Civil War veterans. Annual dinner meetings were held, usually in Hartford. It disbanded in 1936.
The club was organized at a “mass meeting and rally of college women,” in Hartford on February 11, 1905, with its object “mainly social, philanthropic, or literary.” Among its activities, the Club took a leading role in the establishment of the Spruce Street Settlement, later known as Mitchell House.
The Commission was responsible for encouraging “participation in, and promotion, development, acceptance and appreciation of” the cultural resources of the state. Its work fell generally into five categories: Programs, Program Development, Information Services, Technical Assistance and Grants. The seven main areas of work are in: Community Development, Dance, Education, Literature, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts.
Commission to Make Repairs to Capitol and to Procure Site for New Building for State Officials records
The Commission was established by the General Assembly in 1903 to make repairs to the State Capitol and to “investigate and ascertain the necessity of erecting an additional building.”
The National Society, United States Daughters of 1812, was organized January 8, 1892. To become eligible for membership, a prospective member was required to trace her genealogy directly to an ancestor who had served in the United States military or civil service between 1784 and 1815. Chief among the Society's purposes was the dissemination of knowledge of American history. The Connecticut Society was organized March 2, 1906.
Originally organized as the Mothers Neighborhood Circle, it became the Northwest Child Welfare Club in 1936. The Club attempted to “promote child welfare in home, school, church and community . . . raise standards of home life. . . secure adequate laws for the care and protection of women and children.”
The Office of Family Support was established by Governor Rowland after the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks. It assisted families of the victims in locating financial, legal, and emotional assistance.
The Tyler Kindred of America held its first reunion in 1921. This organization is a successor to the Tyler Family Association and was formed by members of the "Branford line" and the "Wallingford line".