Skip to main content


Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus

Found in 132 Collections and/or Records:

Connecticut 375 Commission records

Identifier: RG166_005

The 375 Commission was established by Executive Order 37 signed by Governor M. Jodi Rell on January 20, 2010. The Commission raised funds and developed events and festivities during the year long anniversary.

Dates: 1961-2010; 2010

Connecticut Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission records

Identifier: RG166_003

The Connecticut Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission was created to commemorate the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth by encouraging educational, historical and other organizations to develop Lincoln-related programs and events throughout the state from 2008 to February 12, 2010.

Dates: 2008-2010

Connecticut Council of Churches and Religious Education records

Identifier: RG134
Abstract The Connecticut Council of Churches and Religious Education was formed "to promote and extend the Christian religion in Connecticut by furnishing an interdenominational agency for cooperation in Christian education, comity, and social relations". Contains minutes, treasurer's records, convention records, printed materials, reports and statistics of the Connecticut Federation of Churches, Connecticut Sunday School Union, Connecticut Sunday School Teachers Association, Connecticut Sunday...
Dates: 1832-1997

Connecticut Flood Recovery Committee records

Identifier: RG039

Following the disastrous flood of August 19, 1955, called the "worst flood in the history of eastern United States," Governor Abraham Ribicoff appointed a twenty-member committee to study the immediate problems to be faced and to recommend a program of rehabilitation.

Dates: 1955-1956

Connecticut Forest and Park Association records

Identifier: RG169_007
Abstract The Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA) was founded on December 30, 1895, in Weatogue, Connecticut, at the home of Reverend Horace Winslow, as the Connecticut Forestry Association. In 1928, the Connecticut Forestry Association changed its name to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The name change reflected the association’s interest in recreation and leisure. Records include administrative files, minutes, correspondence, financial records, subject files, committee files,...
Dates: 1883-2018

Connecticut Library Association records

Identifier: RG127

The Connecticut Library Association (CLA) was organized in 1891 in New Haven to promote library interests by discussion and interchange of ideas and methods, and not to “trench upon the province of the American Library Association.” The original aims of the CLA have grown to include standards for librarianship, advancing types of library services, and providing opportunities for action upon mutual problems by trustees, librarians, and others interested in library affairs.

Dates: 1891-1995

Connecticut Optometric Society records

Identifier: RG139

The Connecticut Optometric Society, formerly known as the Connecticut State Optical Society, was organized July 29, 1908. The records include minutes of meetings, correspondence, reports, membership lists, and general records of the society.

Dates: 1908-1942

Connecticut Peace Society records

Identifier: RG125

The Connecticut Peace Society appears to have been established in 1910, “to foster the spirit of amity and concord among the nations, and to create a public sentiment which will lead to the abandonment of war as a means of settling international disputes.”

Dates: 1910-1921

Connecticut Public Transportation Commission records

Identifier: RG089_031
Abstract The Connecticut Public Transportation Authority was created within the Department of Transportation (DOT) in 1975 to “advise and assist the commissioner in the performance of his functions and duties relating to the planning, development and maintenance of adequate rail and motor carrier facilities and service in the state.” The Authority was charged to “at least annually…hold public hearings in each of the urbanized areas of the state for the purpose of evaluating the adequacy of such rail...
Dates: 1980-2001

Connecticut River Bridge and Highway District records

Identifier: RG046

The General Assembly created the Commission in 1895 (Special Act 343) to be responsible for the construction of a new bridge over the Connecticut River to replace the wooden bridge that had burned in that year. The Commission maintained the bridge until the 1930s, when it turned its duties and title to the properties to the State and adjoining localities.

Dates: 1879-1949

Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission records

Identifier: RG183
Abstract The Connecticut River Flood Control Compact was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 6, 1953. The compact created the Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission for the purpose of promoting inter-state comity between and among the signatory states; assuring adequate storage capacity for impounding waters of the Connecticut River and its tributaries for the protection of life and property from floods; and providing a joint or common agency through which the...
Dates: 1927-2011, bulk 1953-2011; 1953-2011

Connecticut School for Boys records

Identifier: RG178_001
Abstract The State Reform School opened in 1854 in Meriden Connecticut. The name was changed in 1893 to the Connecticut School for Boys. In January of 1970 the school came under the administrative control of the Department of Children and Youth Services. In 1972 the school merged with Long Lane School, the state reform school for girls, after experiencing internal troubles with staff and student discipline. Economic costs to the state were also an issue. All boys staying at the school were...
Dates: 1855-1995

Connecticut State Council of Defense records

Identifier: RG030

The Council of Defense coordinated war activities in Connecticut during World War I. Its various committees dealt with the various areas of concern, such as food supply, fuel conservation, transportation, military and naval affairs and publicity.

Dates: 1917-1919

Connecticut State Dental Association records

Identifier: RG140

The Connecticut State Dental Association is a statewide, professional membership organization representing Connecticut licensed dentists. It was established in 1864, and incorporated in 1876.

Dates: 1864-1965

Connecticut Unemployment Commission records

Identifier: RG031

The Commission worked with other state and federal agencies to investigate and mitigate the effects of the existing serious unemployment and to encourage employers to gather statistics and information with a view to finding a solution to the problem.

Dates: 1931-1933

Connecticut Valley Hospital records

Identifier: RG021_001

Connecticut Valley Hospital opened in 1867 as the General Hospital for Insane of the State of Connecticut and continues to operate. It accepted patients from Fairfield Hills Hospital and Norwich State Hospitals upon the closures of those facilities in 1995 and 1996 respectively. Includes records from superintendents, trustees, fiscal, personnel, patients, medical staff and School of Nursing.

Dates: 1866-1991

Connecticut Woman Suffrage Association records

Identifier: RG101
Abstract The Connecticut Woman Suffrage Association was organized at a meeting in Roberts’ Opera House, Hartford, October 28-29, 1869. The Association carried on a spirited and energetic campaign to obtain the vote for women, first in school and local elections and then on a state and national level, working in collaboration with many other equal rights, equal franchise, and constitutional union groups. Its primary aim having been achieved with the ratification by Connecticut of the 19th Amendment on...
Dates: 1869-1921

Council on Human Services records

Identifier: RG095
Abstract In 1973, the General Assembly created the Council on Human Services to coordinate planning and carrying out programs involving two or more agencies, to plan for increased private sector participation, and to provide direction to and coordination with federally funded programs. The Council took over administrative responsibility for some existing programs and developed some new ones including Project Triage (home-care for the elderly), the Wilderness School, the Parent Child Resource System,...
Dates: 1973-1977

County government records

 Record Group
Identifier: RG061

Commissioner, Jail, Termporary Home, and Treasurer records from the eight Connecticut counties.

Dates: 1792-1961

Daughters of the American Revolution, Ruth Wyllys Chapter records

Identifier: RG123_001

The Ruth Wyllys Chapter of Hartford, Connecticut, was organized November 18, 1892, and chartered January 6, 1893. Its members named it for Ruth Wyllys representing George, Samuel, Hezekiah and John Palsgrave Wyllys, statesmen and Revolutionary War officers.

Dates: 1778-1989; Majority of material found within 1892-1989; 1892-1989

Dental Commission records

Identifier: RG092

Established in 1893, the Connecticut Dental Commission regulates the practice of dentistry and dental hygiene including examining and licensing of dentists and dental hygienists. Originally an independent entity, the Commission became part of the Department of Public Health in 1979.

Dates: 1893-1950

Department of Agriculture records

Identifier: RG098

The department’s mission is to foster a healthy economic, environmental and social climate for agriculture by developing, promoting and regulating agricultural businesses; protecting agricultural; enforcing laws pertaining to domestic animals; and promoting an understanding among the state's citizens of the diversity of Connecticut agriculture, its cultural heritage and its contribution to the state's economy.

Dates: 1866-1978

Department of Connecticut United Spanish War Veterans records

Identifier: RG081

The United Spanish War Veterans was organized in 1904 by the amalgamation of a number of veterans organizations, including the National Army and Navy Spanish War Veterans, the National Association Spanish-American War Veterans, the Service Men of the Spanish War.

Dates: 1898-1973

Department of Economic and Community Development records

Identifier: RG022

The Department of Economic and Community Development is the state's agency for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and programs all of which are designed to enhance Connecticut's communities and business and housing environments.

Dates: 1925-1997

Department of Environmental Protection air waste and water records

Identifier: RG079_005

Air, Waste and Water records include: Deputy Commissioner; Planning and Standards; Bureau of Water Management; Bureau of Air Management; Inland Water Resources.

Dates: 1920-2013

Department of Environmental Protection records

Identifier: RG079_001

Central Office includes: Commissioner; Staff Services; Bureau of Administration; Hearings; Tri-State Regional Planning Administration; Internal Affairs; General Counsel; Interagency files; Communications and Education; Affirmative Action; Human Resources.

Dates: 1944-2004

Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services records

Identifier: RG021

The Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services (DMHAS) promotes and administers comprehensive, recovery-oriented services in the areas of mental health treatment and substance abuse prevention and treatment throughout Connecticut.

Dates: 1866-1996

Department of Public Health records

Identifier: RG016

The Department of Public Health is the State's lead agency in public health policy and advocacy.

Dates: 1799-2014; Majority of material found within , 1877-2014

Department of Social Services records

Identifier: RG019

The Department of Social Services provides a broad range of services to the elderly, persons with disabilities, families, and individuals who need assistance in maintaining or achieving their full potential for self-direction, self-reliance and independent living.

Dates: 1775-1959

Department of Veterans' Affairs records

Identifier: RG073

The Department of Veterans' Affairs assists the State's veterans in obtaining benefits or privileges entitled to them under state and federal law. This record group includes records of the Fitch's Home for Soldiers and the Veterans Home and Hospital in Rocky Hill.

Dates: 1866-1990