Found in 34 Collections and/or Records:
Aaron Gaylord papers
Aaron Gaylord of Hartford, Conn. was a merchant and ship owner. The papers consist of correspondence, accounts and miscellaneous business papers relating to his local accounts and shipments on various vessels.
Army and Navy Club records
The club was formed on November 27, 1879, composed of any soldier or sailor honorably discharged and sponsored by a member, and seems to have limited itself to Civil War veterans. Annual dinner meetings were held, usually in Hartford. It disbanded in 1936.
Civil War Centennial Commission records
In 1959, the General Assembly created the Civil War Centennial Commission to promote and publicize the history of Connecticut’s participation in the Civil War. The Commission consisted of twenty-five appointed members and had an office in the State Library.
College Club of Hartford records
The club was organized at a “mass meeting and rally of college women,” in Hartford on February 11, 1905, with its object “mainly social, philanthropic, or literary.” Among its activities, the Club took a leading role in the establishment of the Spruce Street Settlement, later known as Mitchell House.
Commission to Investigate & Report on a Civil Administration Code records
The Commission was created in 1919 "to investigate and report on a civil administration code." It collected data on state government organization and expenditures, took testimony from government officials and others, held public hearings between April and May 1920, and drafted its final report.
Commission to Make Repairs to Capitol and to Procure Site for New Building for State Officials records
The Commission was established by the General Assembly in 1903 to make repairs to the State Capitol and to “investigate and ascertain the necessity of erecting an additional building.”
Connecticut Council of Churches and Religious Education records
Connecticut Forest and Park Association records
Connecticut Library Association records
The Connecticut Library Association (CLA) was organized in 1891 in New Haven to promote library interests by discussion and interchange of ideas and methods, and not to “trench upon the province of the American Library Association.” The original aims of the CLA have grown to include standards for librarianship, advancing types of library services, and providing opportunities for action upon mutual problems by trustees, librarians, and others interested in library affairs.
Connecticut Peace Society records
The Connecticut Peace Society appears to have been established in 1910, “to foster the spirit of amity and concord among the nations, and to create a public sentiment which will lead to the abandonment of war as a means of settling international disputes.”
Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission records
County government records
Commissioner, Jail, Termporary Home, and Treasurer records from the eight Connecticut counties.
Daughters of the American Revolution, Ruth Wyllys Chapter records
The Ruth Wyllys Chapter of Hartford, Connecticut, was organized November 18, 1892, and chartered January 6, 1893. Its members named it for Ruth Wyllys representing George, Samuel, Hezekiah and John Palsgrave Wyllys, statesmen and Revolutionary War officers.
Department of Banking records
After a number of Connecticut banks failed during the depression of 1929, in 1935 the General Assembly assigned to the Banking Commissioner the responsibility for liquidating their affairs. These are mainly records from the Liquidation Division. Also included are press releases and Commissioners files.
Department of Connecticut United Spanish War Veterans records
The United Spanish War Veterans was organized in 1904 by the amalgamation of a number of veterans organizations, including the National Army and Navy Spanish War Veterans, the National Association Spanish-American War Veterans, the Service Men of the Spanish War.
Ex Libris Club records
Formed in 1912, the Ex Libris Club was a social organization of employees of the State Library and the Supreme Court. The Club held parties and picnics, sent cards and flowers, attended weddings and christenings, published an internal newsletter entitled the State Library Echo, and kept scrapbooks of members and activities. In 1951 employees disbanded the club and formed the State Library and Supreme Court Club, 1951-1986.
Grand Army of the Republic, Department of Connecticut records
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was established in 1866 by a former Army surgeon and held its first national meeting that same year. Its membership consisted of Union veterans of the Civil War. The GAR was concerned with veteran benefits and was actively involved in establishing soldiers’ homes, making provisions for soldiers’ graves, and lobbying for pension benefits. It proved to be an effective pressure group and exerted significant influence in the political arena.
Hartford City Guard records
Hartford Dental Society records
Established in 1897, the Hartford Dental Society (HDS) is a professional association whose members are dentists in the Greater Hartford area.
Hartford Woman's Club (Hartford, Conn.) records
The Motherhood Club of Hartford was organized in 1896 by a group of young mothers “so burdened with the responsibilities of their lot that they chose to give their Club life to child problems rather than literary or social pleasures.”
International Order of the King’s Daughters and Sons, Connecticut Branch records
The International Order of the King's Daughters and Sons was an “international, interdenominational, inter-racial [sic] organization for development of spiritual life and stimulation of Christian activities,” the Connecticut Branch is composed of a number of local “circles” which met periodically.
John J. McMahon papers
League of Women Voters of Connecticut records
Major Edward V. Preston papers
The collection contains documents kept by Major Edward V. Preston, who was a quartermaster and then a paymaster in the United States Army during the Civil War. Included in the papers are muster rolls, officer pay vouchers, discharge papers, hospital notices, returns, receipts, requisitions, books, and personal papers.
Northwest Child Welfare Club records
Originally organized as the Mothers Neighborhood Circle, it became the Northwest Child Welfare Club in 1936. The Club attempted to “promote child welfare in home, school, church and community . . . raise standards of home life. . . secure adequate laws for the care and protection of women and children.”
Order of the Founders and Patriots of America, Connecticut Society records
The Order of the Founders and Patriots of America was incorporated in New York on March 18, 1896. The terms of eligibility require that every member must be descended in the male line of father or mother, from an ancestor who settled in one of the original thirteen colonies within fifty years from the settlement of Jamestown, VA, May 13, 1607.
Plainfield Historical Society records
The Plainfield Historical Society was established in a meeting held January 8, 1916 in the Town Clerk’s Office, Central Village. Judge John E. Prior was chosen chairman. The date of its last meeting was November 10, 1917.
Research Commission records
The Research Commission supported and encouraged research and related activities "relevant to the interests and welfare or the economic betterment of the citizens of Connecticut."
Second Church of Christ, Scientist records
The Second Church of Christ Scientist Hartford, was organized in 1907 by 11 members of The Mother Church. The first service was held on an upper floor at 64 Pearl Street, and as the congregation grew, services were moved twice to other sites. The church building at the corner of Lafayette and Russ Streets held its first service January 4, 1925. A diminished membership prompted the congregation to sell the church building to the State of Connecticut in 2008.
State Library and Supreme Court Club records
The State Library and Supreme Court Club formed in 1951 as a successor to the Ex Libris Club. It disbanded in 1986.