Clubs -- Connecticut -- Hartford
Found in 9 Collections and/or Records:
The club was formed on November 27, 1879, composed of any soldier or sailor honorably discharged and sponsored by a member, and seems to have limited itself to Civil War veterans. Annual dinner meetings were held, usually in Hartford. It disbanded in 1936.
The Club was organized prior to 1909 with the purpose “to associate those actively or otherwise interested in the various branches of the arts and crafts for mutual benefit; to foster and promote interest in the handicrafts. . . and to encourage and stimulate. . . wider participation in and appreciation of good craftwork in all its branches.”
The club was organized at a “mass meeting and rally of college women,” in Hartford on February 11, 1905, with its object “mainly social, philanthropic, or literary.” Among its activities, the Club took a leading role in the establishment of the Spruce Street Settlement, later known as Mitchell House.
The Motherhood Club of Hartford was organized in 1896 by a group of young mothers “so burdened with the responsibilities of their lot that they chose to give their Club life to child problems rather than literary or social pleasures.”
The Monday Afternoon Club was organized on January 4, 1886. The main objective of the society was “the study of history-not general nor in consecutive course, but the selection of certain periods determined by vote of members.”
The Municipal Art Society of Hartford was organized on June 14, 1904 in the studio of Charles Noel Flagg. Its aim was to “be of service in preserving and enhancing the beauty of our magnificent city.”
Originally organized as the Mothers Neighborhood Circle, it became the Northwest Child Welfare Club in 1936. The Club attempted to “promote child welfare in home, school, church and community . . . raise standards of home life. . . secure adequate laws for the care and protection of women and children.”
The association was organized in 1919 composed of men who had served in the Machine gun Company of the First Connecticut Infantry, the first American machine gun company. It operated under various names until 1926 when it was named in honor of Michael and John Owens, both members of the company. The association decorated the graves of deceased members on Memorial Day and held annual meetings until it disbanded in 1970.