Skip to main content

Correspondence

 Subject
Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus

Found in 242 Collections and/or Records:

Commission on Forfeited Rights records

 Collection
Identifier: RG157
Abstract

Established in 1949 and abolished in 1975, the Commission on Forfeited Rights was charged with the responsibility of reviewing and acting upon petitions to restore forfeited electoral rights for those who had been released from prison.

Dates: 1949-1975

Commission on Mandates to Cities and Towns records

 Collection
Identifier: RG002_025_MANDATES
Abstract The Commission was established by Special Act 81-72 to address the ongoing concerns of cities and towns regarding state mandated programs and regulations. The legislature charged the Commission with identifying and cataloguing existing state mandates as well as studying the fiscal impact on local governments. The Interim Study Committee on State Mandates was established by Public Act 83-12. The records consist of memorandums, correspondence, notices of meetings, meeting minutes of both the...
Dates: 1974, 1980-1984; Majority of material found within 1980-1984

Commission on State Government Organization records

 Collection
Identifier: RG028_004
Abstract

The Commission used nineteen survey units to study various aspects of state government and make organizational recommendations.

Dates: circa 1940-1950

Commission on the Arts records

 Collection
Identifier: RG097
Abstract

The Commission was responsible for encouraging “participation in, and promotion, development, acceptance and appreciation of” the cultural resources of the state. Its work fell generally into five categories: Programs, Program Development, Information Services, Technical Assistance and Grants. The seven main areas of work are in: Community Development, Dance, Education, Literature, Music, Theatre and Visual Arts.

Dates: 1962-1978

Commission on the Reorganization of State Departments records

 Collection
Identifier: RG028_002
Abstract

The Commission made recommendations and proposed legislation to streamline State government that at the time consisted of 160 agencies among the three branches.

Dates: 1935-1937

Commission on the Treatment and Care of People Afflicted with Physical or Mental Disabilities records

 Collection
Identifier: RG042
Abstract In 1939, the General Assembly enacted House Bill 1650 that established a five-member commission appointed by the Governor to study the problems associated with physical and mental diseases in Connecticut, delivery of services by state facilities and expenditures made by them and those that the state should make. Originally called the Commission on the Treatment and Care of People Afflicted with Physical or Mental Disabilities and sometimes known as the Barker Commission, the group was better...
Dates: 1939-1940

Commission to Investigate & Report on a Civil Administration Code records

 Collection
Identifier: RG053
Abstract

The Commission was created in 1919 "to investigate and report on a civil administration code." It collected data on state government organization and expenditures, took testimony from government officials and others, held public hearings between April and May 1920, and drafted its final report.

Dates: 1915-1921

Commission to Make Repairs to Capitol and to Procure Site for New Building for State Officials records

 Collection
Identifier: RG060
Abstract

The Commission was established by the General Assembly in 1903 to make repairs to the State Capitol and to “investigate and ascertain the necessity of erecting an additional building.”

Dates: 1904-1914

Commission to Study the Integration of the State Judicial System records

 Collection
Identifier: RG028_003
Abstract

The Commission studied the State's judicial system with regards to methods of appointment of judges and their tenure in office and salaries.

Dates: 1943-1945

Committee on Library Improvement records

 Collection
Identifier: RG083
Abstract

Governor John Dempsey appointed a nine-member committee in December 1963 to recommend action to improve library services to the state of Connecticut.

Dates: 1963-1965

Committee on the Structure of State Government records

 Collection
Identifier: RG028_006
Abstract

The Committee studied the overall functions of state government and its agencies as well as their relationships with commissions and committees.

Dates: 1976-1977

Connecticut 375 Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG166_005
Abstract

The 375 Commission was established by Executive Order 37 signed by Governor M. Jodi Rell on January 20, 2010. The Commission raised funds and developed events and festivities during the year long anniversary.

Dates: 1961-2010; 2010

Connecticut Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG166_003
Abstract

The Connecticut Abraham Lincoln Bicentennial Commission was created to commemorate the bicentennial of Abraham Lincoln's birth by encouraging educational, historical and other organizations to develop Lincoln-related programs and events throughout the state from 2008 to February 12, 2010.

Dates: 2008-2010

Connecticut Behavioral Health Partnership Oversight Council records

 Collection
Identifier: RG002_025_BHPOC
Abstract

The Council advises the Departments of Children and Families, and Mental Health and Addiction Services, and Social Services on the planning and implementation of the statutory Behavioral Health Partnership (BHP). Records are comprised of meeting summaries of the Council and its subcommittees.

Dates: 2005-2009

Connecticut Flood Recovery Committee records

 Collection
Identifier: RG039
Abstract

Following the disastrous flood of August 19, 1955, called the "worst flood in the history of eastern United States," Governor Abraham Ribicoff appointed a twenty-member committee to study the immediate problems to be faced and to recommend a program of rehabilitation.

Dates: 1955-1956

Connecticut Forest and Park Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG169_007
Abstract The Connecticut Forest and Park Association (CFPA) was founded on December 30, 1895, in Weatogue, Connecticut, at the home of Reverend Horace Winslow, as the Connecticut Forestry Association. In 1928, the Connecticut Forestry Association changed its name to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association. The name change reflected the association’s interest in recreation and leisure. Records include administrative files, minutes, correspondence, financial records, subject files, committee files,...
Dates: 1883-2018

Connecticut Governor records

 Collection
Identifier: RG005
Abstract

Includes Executive Clerk, proclamations, correspondence, bond registers, applications, miscellaneous reports, commitment papers, appointment registers, Commissioner of Deeds, Lt. Governor, requisitions and waivers of extradition, and records of individual administrations beginning with Frank B. Weeks, 1909-1911.

Dates: 1630-2018

Connecticut Historical Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG024
Abstract

The Connecticut Historical Commission performed a variety of functions having to do with the preservation of historic sites and structures and other historical resources.

Dates: 1768-1987

Connecticut Library Association records

 Collection
Identifier: RG127
Abstract

The Connecticut Library Association (CLA) was organized in 1891 in New Haven to promote library interests by discussion and interchange of ideas and methods, and not to “trench upon the province of the American Library Association.” The original aims of the CLA have grown to include standards for librarianship, advancing types of library services, and providing opportunities for action upon mutual problems by trustees, librarians, and others interested in library affairs.

Dates: 1891-1995

Connecticut Magazine Co. records

 Collection
Identifier: RG121
Abstract The Connecticut Magazine, described itself as "Incorporated under the laws of Connecticut for the purpose of collecting in permanent form the various phases of history, literature, art, science, genius, industry and all that pertains to the maintenance of the honorable record which this state has attained," in its company letterhead. The Connecticut Magazine was the successor to Connecticut...
Dates: 1896-1910, undated

Connecticut Medical Society records

 Collection
Identifier: RG138
Abstract

The Connecticut Medical Society was incorporated in 1792. From its inception, until 1893, the Society was responsible for licensing physicians. Now known as the Connecticut State Medical Society, it exists as a voluntary non-profit organization for scientific and educational purposes.

Dates: 1792-1912

Connecticut Office of Price Administration records

 Collection
Identifier: RG035
Abstract

In August 1941, the Federal government set up the Office of Price Administration in order to stabilize prices, obtain optimum production of essential war materials and prevent a post-war price collapse.

Dates: 1942-1949

Connecticut Optometric Society records

 Collection
Identifier: RG139
Abstract

The Connecticut Optometric Society, formerly known as the Connecticut State Optical Society, was organized July 29, 1908. The records include minutes of meetings, correspondence, reports, membership lists, and general records of the society.

Dates: 1908-1942

Connecticut Peace Society records

 Collection
Identifier: RG125
Abstract

The Connecticut Peace Society appears to have been established in 1910, “to foster the spirit of amity and concord among the nations, and to create a public sentiment which will lead to the abandonment of war as a means of settling international disputes.”

Dates: 1910-1921

Connecticut River Bridge and Highway District records

 Collection
Identifier: RG046
Abstract

The General Assembly created the Commission in 1895 (Special Act 343) to be responsible for the construction of a new bridge over the Connecticut River to replace the wooden bridge that had burned in that year. The Commission maintained the bridge until the 1930s, when it turned its duties and title to the properties to the State and adjoining localities.

Dates: 1879-1949

Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG183
Abstract The Connecticut River Flood Control Compact was signed into law by President Dwight D. Eisenhower on June 6, 1953. The compact created the Connecticut River Valley Flood Control Commission for the purpose of promoting inter-state comity between and among the signatory states; assuring adequate storage capacity for impounding waters of the Connecticut River and its tributaries for the protection of life and property from floods; and providing a joint or common agency through which the...
Dates: 1927-2011, bulk 1953-2011; 1953-2011

Connecticut School for Boys records

 Collection
Identifier: RG178_001
Abstract The State Reform School opened in 1854 in Meriden Connecticut. The name was changed in 1893 to the Connecticut School for Boys. In January of 1970 the school came under the administrative control of the Department of Children and Youth Services. In 1972 the school merged with Long Lane School, the state reform school for girls, after experiencing internal troubles with staff and student discipline. Economic costs to the state were also an issue. All boys staying at the school were...
Dates: 1855-1995

Connecticut Siting Council records

 Collection
Identifier: RG041_003
Abstract

The Connecticut Siting Council has jurisdiction over the siting of power facilities, transmission lines, hazardous waste facilities and various other forms of infrastructure including telecommunications sites.

Dates: 1973-1992

Connecticut State Capitol Preservation and Restoration Commission records

 Collection
Identifier: RG084
Abstract

The Connecticut State Capitol Preservation and Restoration Commission was formed in March 1972 to arrange and obtain funding for a restoration of the State Capitol.

Dates: 1972-1973