Found in 33 Collections and/or Records:
The club was formed on November 27, 1879, composed of any soldier or sailor honorably discharged and sponsored by a member, and seems to have limited itself to Civil War veterans. Annual dinner meetings were held, usually in Hartford. It disbanded in 1936.
The Club was organized prior to 1909 with the purpose “to associate those actively or otherwise interested in the various branches of the arts and crafts for mutual benefit; to foster and promote interest in the handicrafts. . . and to encourage and stimulate. . . wider participation in and appreciation of good craftwork in all its branches.”
In 1959, the General Assembly created the Civil War Centennial Commission to promote and publicize the history of Connecticut’s participation in the Civil War. The Commission consisted of twenty-five appointed members and had an office in the State Library.
The 375 Commission was established by Executive Order 37 signed by Governor M. Jodi Rell on January 20, 2010. The Commission raised funds and developed events and festivities during the year long anniversary.
The Connecticut Optometric Society, formerly known as the Connecticut State Optical Society, was organized July 29, 1908. The records include minutes of meetings, correspondence, reports, membership lists, and general records of the society.
The Department of Economic and Community Development is the state's agency for the development and implementation of policies, strategies and programs all of which are designed to enhance Connecticut's communities and business and housing environments.
Emerson College, located in Boston, was founded in 1880 as a small school of oratory and has evolved into the only comprehensive college or university in the country dedicated exclusively to communication and the arts. The Alumni Association fosters and maintains the spirit and devotion of the alumni in an effort to promote growth and the reputation of the College as a leader in communication and arts education.
Executive and Legislative Nominations Committee meeting and nomination files.
Government Administration and Elections Committee meeting and investigation files.
The Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) was established in 1866 by a former Army surgeon and held its first national meeting that same year. Its membership consisted of Union veterans of the Civil War. The GAR was concerned with veteran benefits and was actively involved in establishing soldiers’ homes, making provisions for soldiers’ graves, and lobbying for pension benefits. It proved to be an effective pressure group and exerted significant influence in the political arena.
The Municipal Art Society of Hartford was organized on June 14, 1904 in the studio of Charles Noel Flagg. Its aim was to “be of service in preserving and enhancing the beauty of our magnificent city.”
Originally organized as the Mothers Neighborhood Circle, it became the Northwest Child Welfare Club in 1936. The Club attempted to “promote child welfare in home, school, church and community . . . raise standards of home life. . . secure adequate laws for the care and protection of women and children.”
The Plainfield Historical Society was established in a meeting held January 8, 1916 in the Town Clerk’s Office, Central Village. Judge John E. Prior was chosen chairman. The date of its last meeting was November 10, 1917.
On July 1, 2001, House Bill 6568 provided for the establishment of a committee to recommend to the Joint Committee on Legislative Management an artist to sculpt a statue of Prudence Crandall, the state heroine, for the State Capitol Building, and a location in the building for the placement of the statue.
Public Health Committee records consist of agendas, attendance sheets, bill books, bills, bulletin notices, hearing transcripts, Joint Favorable lists, membership lists, memorandum, minutes, notes, sign in sheets, subject files, and transcript sheets.
The Second Church of Christ Scientist Hartford, was organized in 1907 by 11 members of The Mother Church. The first service was held on an upper floor at 64 Pearl Street, and as the congregation grew, services were moved twice to other sites. The church building at the corner of Lafayette and Russ Streets held its first service January 4, 1925. A diminished membership prompted the congregation to sell the church building to the State of Connecticut in 2008.
On January 26, 2004, House Resolution 702 formally established the Select Committee of Inquiry to determine whether sufficient grounds existed to impeach Governor John G. Rowland. Speaker of the House Moira K. Lyons (D-Stamford) appointed Arthur J. O'Neill (R-Southbury) and John Wayne Fox (D-Stamford) as co-chairmen.
The Stark Family Association devoted to the descendants of Aaron Stark (c. 1618-1685) was founded in 1895 and dissolved in 1954 after the deaths of its founding members and a decline in interest by those of later generations. The records consists of correspondence, family papers, business records, and printed works.
The Tyler Kindred of America held its first reunion in 1921. This organization is a successor to the Tyler Family Association and was formed by members of the "Branford line" and the "Wallingford line".